North of Qualicum Beach is the charmingly rustic Lighthouse Country, named for the lighthouses on Sisters Island and Chrome Island. The region includes the communities of Dashwood, Qualicum Bay, Dunsmuir, Bowser and Deep Bay, and is home to Island Scallops. This region of Parksville Qualicum Beach is not to be missed! Here are SEVENTEEN things to do while you're there:
1. Travel down a road of crushed seashells to the Deep Bay Marine Field Station
where Vancouver Island University conducts shellfish research.
2. Gather the family around a beach fire for a clam bake and oysters picked fresh from the shore.
3. Explore tidal pools to discover starfish and sand dollars. These pools are Mother Nature's aquariums!
4. Swim or kayak in tranquil ocean waters.
5. Fish from shore alongside bald eagles and herons.
6. Head out with Van Isle Fishing and Marine Adventures
from Deep Bay Marina.
7. Watch seals and sea lions swimming off-shore, especially in the Spring when the Salish Sea comes alive with wildlife.
8. Shop the Magnolia Court Summer Market
9. Visit the Salish Sea Market
for a selection of artisan work in a variety of mediums.
10. Have a drink and enjoy live music at the Crown & Anchor Roadhouse Pub
. Or taste Vancouver Island's best fish & chips at Ship & Shore
11. Discover the Lighthouse Country Regional Trail
12. Find the path less taken at Rosewall Creek Provincial Park
13. Visit the Big Qualicum Hatchery
when the salmon spawn in the Fall.
14. Catch sight of a variety of birds on riverbanks and at the shoreline - Dippers, Geese, Gulls, and Swans are just a few of the types you can see.
15. Enjoy a hot summer day at Spider Lake Provincial Park.
16. Go underground at Horne Lake Caves Provincial Park
17. Lay your head down at oceanfront accommodations. Check out Shady Shores Beach Resort
, Lighthouse Motel
, Qualicum Bay Resort
, and Sea Flame Beach Resort