- Things to Do
- Places to Stay
- Food & Drink
- Plan Your Trip
- Book Now
Temporary Closure of Beaches to Dogs
Beaches within the Parksville Qualicum Beach Wildlife Management Area (PQBWMA) will be temporarily closed to dogs to the annual Brant geese migration. Rathtrevor Beach will be closed to dogs from February 15 to April 30. Parksville Bay Beach and Qualicum Beach from March 1 to April 30.More Info
This classic panzanella, which is a Tuscan-style tomato and bread salad, is the perfect way to use freshly picked tomatoes and day-old bread.
Jean Wilson from Wild Culture Artisan Bakery in Qualicum Beach suggests her Country French or Rustic French (sourdough) bread for this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut or roughly tear the bread into 1-inch cubes and toss in a medium-sized bowl with 2 Tbsp oil and ½ tsp salt. Spread evenly on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and toss in a colander with ½ tsp salt. Drain over a medium-sized bowl for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Whisk the remaining 6 Tbsp olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper into the tomato juices. Add bread cubes, toss gently and let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
5. Add the red pepper, cucumber, shallot and basil and toss to combine.
6. Garnish with additional chopped basil and serve as a hearty side dish or a light main course!
About the Author
Wild Culture Artisan Bakery